Views: 0 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2023-03-17 Origin: Site
Expand global business and continuously gain technological advantages
After Cummins succeeded in the United States, it turned its attention to the emerging international market and planned to build a manufacturing plant outside the United States. In 1956, Cummins established its first overseas factory in Shorts, Scotland. In the early 1960s, Cummins established its own production bases or licensed production plants in other parts of Europe, as well as Brazil, Australia, India, Mexico and Japan. By the end of the 1960s, Cummins' sales and service network had expanded to 98 countries around the world, with more than 2,500 agents. Through these efforts, Cummins achieved internationalization earlier than most American companies.
At the same time, Cummins encountered new challenges in the United States. The U.S. truck industry continued to consolidate, with more and more engine manufacturers merging with truck manufacturing plants (Cummins also tried to merge with White Motor Company in 1963, but eventually Cummins gave up this effort). Cummins firmly believes that it won't be long before demand for heavy-duty diesel trucks recovers. Cummins management put money into the growing small engine market. In 1961, the V-Series engine was introduced at Cummins, a compact engine that was soon built in England in partnership with Chrysler. The more epoch-making event of Cummins in this decade is that under the leadership of Mr. Tull and the encouragement of Joseph Erwin Miller, it built a $23 million building in Columbus in 1968. The R&D technology center was ahead of similar R&D centers in the world at that time. The center has 88 laboratories and modern instruments and equipment, which further strengthens Cummins' commitment to continuous pursuit of technological innovation and lays the foundation for Cummins' future development.